Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Cookies for Breakfast

IMG_3151

Yeah, the title of this post makes them seem way more exciting than it should.  

So, as a result of my pending nuptials, I've been trying to eat really healthy. Unsurprisingly, this has proven difficult given my line of work. Working in a restaurant, you need to taste pretty much anything that you make.  When you make is ice cream, cakes, and cookies all day, these little tastes can add up to a gigantic rump.  Lately, I've been tasting bites of food and then spitting them in the trash can.  I realize that this is incredibly gross. Well, actually, I didn't realize how gross it was until someone at work caught me in the act. There was really no explaining that one -- I felt like some sort of ABC Family after school special, secretly bingeing on cookies and then hurling them into the trash can.

Anyway, I thought to myself - "Self -- there has to be a better way! Can't I have my cookies and actually eat them too!?"  This is my first attempt at successfully answering that question. These breakfast cookies are vegan, low fat, and between 100-130 calories each depending on your mix-ins. They would be a pretty good grab and go breakfast.  That being said, you are not going to fool ANYONE into thinking this is a traditional cookie. Nothing can replace butter and sugar. Good luck serving it for dessert. 

 

The inspiration for this cookies began as so many of my kitchen creations do -- with black bananas. Unfortunatley, I only had one… but I think these would be even better with two smooched up bananas. 

IMG_3132

  • 1-2 smashed up bananas
  • 1 Tablespoon honey (you could also use maple syrup, agave, or regular sugar)
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
  • 1 egg white or 1/4 cup water (for a vegan option)
  • 1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat, but you could also use plain)
  • Pinch of salt

Start by smooching the banana(s) in a bowl and then add the other ingredients until you get a cookie-like texture. If it's too dry, add more water or egg white. If it's too wet, sprinkle some more flour in there. Then add your mix ins.

IMG_3134

Here's what I used. Please excuse my hella dirty mason jars. Look at all those fingerprints - clearly I'm grabbing for the chocolate chips a little too often!

  • 1/4 cup walnuts
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup raisins
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • Vanilla extract 

Some other tasty suggestions: coconut, a glob of peanut butter, cranberries, pecans, etc.  

 

Scoop the dough into 8 piles on a lined cookie sheet. Bake at 325* for about 15 minutes.  

IMG_3143

I have to say that these are a pretty great snack before working out. (I put a little smear of peanut butter on top for extra staying power).  And the bonus is you won't feel the need to spit it in the trashcan half way through!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment