Monday, May 9, 2011

Oh happy day!!

My shoes are covered in flour and I have dough under my fingernails. I’ve probably eaten a baguette and a half today.

IMG_1865

See? I’m not kidding.

I’m pretty psyched because a big part of this class is making fancy sandwiches and, well, who doesn’t like a fancy sandwich?!? Today we mostly reviewed skills that we already knew, like practicing baguettes.  Some long time readers may remember my baguette anxiety from earlier this year, but I’m happy to say that I confidently wielded the razor today and my baguettes came out great!

The coolest thing we made today was an epi, so I’ll show you some pictures of it. You can also see me gnoshing on one above.

First of all, here is the gigantic platform that we use to load the bread into the ovens.

IMG_1860

It’s amazingly clever. If you’ve ever tried to put a long skinny piece of uncooked bread into a 500* oven, you probably know what I’m talking about.

An epi looks like a bunch of little criss-crossed rolls on top of each other. It’s actually the same shape as a baguette, but you use scissors to snip the dough and pull it to one side.    IMG_1862

Here’s the finished product:

IMG_1864

These are great for a dinner party or a big group because you can pull off a leaf for each person. I also think they look really pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment