Sunday, May 8, 2011

A cake making miracle

For our practical exam, we had to design a cake for a special occasion and make it in class.  I chose a Mother’s Day Brunch and decorated a cake for my mom.

Naturally, I ignored the fact that my mom doesn’t really like eating cake. And also that she lives 600 miles away.  It’s the thought that counts… right, mom?

The assignment was that we had to have 2 tiers on our cake a six roses. So, my cake looked like this:

IMG_1768

I stuck to things I knew that I could execute cleanly.Two tiers, six roses. Done.  Some of the cakes in our class were AMAZING, like, Cake Boss style. One person made a full-on picnic scene. Another replicated the Harley Davidson logo exactly. Someone else put a miniature Moulin Rouge replica on top of her cake.

Mine was very simple, but it looked clean and sophisticated, which was good enough for me!

IMG_1772

The inside of my cake was almond pound cake. Each cake had four layers in it with a ganache filling. Then I iced it with Italian buttercream and covered it in rolled fondant.

I have to say that I was pretty pleased with myself. I think I’ve come a long way since the beginning of the class.  I survived!

Also, HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to all of the mothers reading (especially mine!). I’m sending you a slice of virtual mother’s day cake.

IMG_1769

No comments:

Post a Comment