Friday, April 1, 2011

Deep fried fun

Due to the overwhelming number of suggestions from my readers(sarcasm), I decided to go with fried oreos for my garnish.

One of my awesome former roommates had never heard of fried oreos, so naturally I had to take her on an expedition to get some at the San Gennaro festival. I guess I forgot to warn her that a little fried oreo goes a long way. I also forgot to warn her that my tolerance for eating disturbingly disgusting foods is about 3x that of a normal person’s.

A upside to this trip was that I learned that it is probably possible to run out of a subway car while it’s stopped at a station, vomit in a trash can, and then run back into the car before it starts moving.

Let’s hope that nobody has to test that one out in real life.

IMG_1344

My fried oeros were slightly more “gourmet” than the ones you buy on the street. I put a coconut coating on them that was a surprisingly good complement to the cookie. If you’ve never had a fried oreo, they are a strange phenomenon – the inside turns into a delicious, cake-like substance. You should really try them.

Just try not to eat too many at once. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

We had to put our fried garnish on a cheesecake plate to serve in the dining room. Um, gross? I call it the “loosen your belt, tighten your arteries” special. Each day, we get a list of things we have to put on our plate. It can get difficult to be creative with so many rules and restrictions.

Sometimes (ok, most of the time), my chef does not like my “streamlined style”. Of course, I try to put out plates that he likes, but today I made two plates to prove that my style was superior. He did not agree. Ha.  This was probably a waste of precious minutes, since we have a challenging time limit to finish our plated dessert each day, but I thought it was a worthwhile experiment.

Below are photos of two plates with the same components: chocolate piping, three sauces, cheesecake and berries, sugar garnish (the crispy gold stuff), and a fried garnish (the oreos). The first plate does have some sorbet on it, but the second plate does not.

I’ll let you guys be the judge.

Chef-inspired plating:

IMG_1349

 

Alice inspired plating:

IMG_1354

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I have to go with Alice
    do fried Oreos travel well in the mail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @George
    NOT AT ALL. You have to eat them within 5 minutes of coming out of the fryer or they are disgusting. You'll have to wait until I come for a visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggested fried oreos! I think I should get some kind of reward. Send baked goods post-haste.

    ReplyDelete