Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year from Sugarbomb!

Here's to hoping your 2011 is full of champagne and cupcakes. Mine has been, so far!

After a nice blogging/school work/regular work hiatus, I am somewhat begrudgingly preparing myself to head back into the real world tomorrow. Here are some culinary highlights from the past two weeks. All of the really good photos were taken by my dad/photographer, the crappier ones are my handiwork.

S'mores cupcakes. I really am looking for any excuse to use a propane torch in the kitchen. These have a graham cracker crust, a chocolate cake, and then a meringue "fluff-esque" frosting that I torched so it would look toasted. With a Hershey square for good measure.

Here's me cutting some salted caramels.
I am wearing my favorite apron which may or may not rightfully belong to my dad.

Car Bomb Cupcakes! These are an old favorite that I adapted from one of my favorite blogs, Smitten Kitchen. They have a Guinness cupcake (which tastes good, believe it or not), an Irish Whiskey ganache, and a Bailey's buttercream. I made them for Christmas Eve, hence the wreath-shaped decorations.

Here's me decorating the Christmas trifle. My teachers would probably vomit if they saw my hairstyle. I can assure you that no foreign objects fell into the food. If you haven't had trifle before (it's an English dessert), it's layers of pound cake, raspberries and preserves, pastry cream, and whipped cream. Super rich and really tasty.Here's the finished product!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go work on my new year's resolution: eat more vegetables. I might have to craft a broccoli cupcake before 2011 is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment