Tuesday, August 27, 2013

life lately

Hey hey hey, what's up?  

I've been a whirling dervish lately - New Orleans, New York, Atlanta and lots more fun trips coming up.  I, for one, am thrilled that summer is almost over.  I'm ready for pumpkin spice lattes, knee high boots, and buffalo chicken dip (which I consider my reward for sitting through 12 hours of college football every Saturday).  

Here are some tasty treats I've whipped up lately.  Apologies to my instagram page (If you're not following me, you should! @alicecpn)

 

The perfect salted caramel brownie. I mean, really: 

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7404/9543931499_01df252935.jpg

These were a gift for my hostess in New Orleans, and I purposely took a picture of this because I knew they would look like crap once we got into town. They did. I handed her a tub of brownies cemented to the bottom of the tupperware. Damn you, Louisiana heat and humidity! Luckily caramel is delicious even if you scoop it up with a spoon (and by spoon, I mean fingers).  

 

I made these lemon and blackberry cupcakes for a client: 

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5477/9546994358_20fc0a6f52.jpg

Thanks to my husband for taking the perfect bite out of this  tester cupcake. Also, apologies for shouting STOP EATING THAT IMMEDIATELY SO I CAN TAKE A PICTURE!  It's a wonder he didn't choke on that perfect bite. 

 

On the few nights I've actually been at home, I've been cooking up some of my favorite hearty comfort foods, despite the fact that it's 90+ degrees out.  See my above wish for fall to get here! Coq au vin, pork and roasted apples, and my all-time favorite, lentils with poached eggs: 

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3703/9546992314_3fc277c268.jpg

This was my #1 favorite dinner when I was studying in France. If you load up the lentils with bacon and red wine and let them simmer for hours, it's pretty much the most amazing thing you've ever eaten.  I know you are judging this photo right now, but seriously, come over to my house. I'll make this for you and you'll eat your words (and a gallon of lentils). 


Occasionally, I volunteer at a hospice center and make dinners for the families of the patients.  I was really jealous that I didn't get to eat these brownies with peanut butter frosting. I thought it would be pretty obvious if a corner was missing.  

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2830/9544199869_c069ee833d.jpg

I did leave one edge of the brownies naked for people who don't like peanut butter frosting. Secretly, I ran out of frosting… but this way makes me look super considerate, right? D'oh!


Stay tuned for some sassy upcoming posts, including food highlights from my aforementioned New Orleans trip and a how-to post on the silliest birthday cake that I've made to date. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment