Sunday, July 14, 2013

Savory Shortbread {Recipe}

Oh em gee. I just made the most delicious snacks. I'm endangering my own welfare  by OD-ing on these gorgonzola and pecan shortbread.

Last night, we watched about 800 episodes of The West Wing, because neither my husband nor I have ever seen it (side note: I can't believe how dated that show seems now! Their ginormous cell phones and laptops are almost as awesome as their highwaisted pants and baggy trench coats. I love you, 90s).  Obviously a cheese plate was in order. At the end of our West Wing-athon, we had a smidgen of this delicious blue cheese left over. It's called Rogue River Creamery Oregonzola, because It's gorgonzola from Oregon. HA! Cheese that uses puns? It must be made for me. 

I didn't want to throw away this tiny scrap of delicious cheese - have you SEEN the price of cheese lately? My secret is to scrounge through the discount bin at Whole Foods, where you can buy the weirdly-shaped cheese butts left over after they cut the nice, pretty pieces of cheese. They usually cost only $2-3 and are the perfect size for a two-person cheese plate.  I'm annoyed that I told you that. Don't go stealing all of the good cheese butts, now. 

I thought I'd try making a savory shortbread to go with tonight's cheese plate.  It's like the cheese plate circle of life. 

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/9288668838_eeb2b57b6a.jpg

These are so tasty, like a light and crispy cheese straw with the meatiness of the pecans. The cornstarch seems like a weird ingredient, but it adds a delightful melt-in-your mouth feel.  

Gorgonzola Pecan Shortbread

In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the following on low speed.  It's ok if it's lumpy (the blue cheese won't totally break down), but just be sure that all of the ingredients are incorporated well.

  • 1.25 ounces of high quality blue cheese (that's just what I had - you could use a little more or less based on your tastes)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • A few grinds of black pepper 
When those are creamy, dump in the following and mix  on low speed until it comes together: 
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • Pinch of salt 
  • 1/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped

Put the dough in plastic wrap and form it into a log.  Pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes or the fridge for a few hours. It will stay fine in the fridge for a few days or the freezer for a few months. When you're ready to bake, hack off a few slices and put them in a preheated 350* oven for about 10 minutes.

DELICIOUS!

In other news, these roasted cherry tomatoes are making my house smell Ah-MAZ-ing: 

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2859/9285895285_b5a713a045.jpg

They're like tomato gummy bears. 


Now, if you'll excuse me, I have at least six episodes of West Wing to watch before this day is through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment