Monday, March 21, 2011

Another one bites the dust

I always talk about practical exams, but it’s hard to convey the stress and drama of the whole situation. To give you some context, here’s a photo of my table after our last practical: IMG_1255

Please note the towels on the ground that are “stealtihly” trying to cover up a giant pile of Bavarian cream that we dropped.   

In case you can’t tell, I have a bad habit of “hiding” things under the table, on windowsills (see bowl), in my pockets, etc. etc. This is highly frowned upon, but TIME IS MONEY, people! And… clearly, hiding things saves you time. Because you aren’t doing dishes.

Somehow, miraculously, that chaos produced these cakes:

IMG_1265

I had to do some quick thinking when I totally botched the glazing on my chocolate mousse entremets. Luckily, I could use that same caging technique from the tira misu to cover up all of the wobbly bits.

IMG_1260

Here are my petit gateaux. Really, the worst part of my practical today was my chocolate piping (which is the easiest part of the whole thing!) My hands get so shaky when I am nervous. Look at those lines on my raspberry bavarians above. Um, yeah. They are supposed to be straight.

Oh well – my filigrees came out well, at least. I’m going to show a close up to prove that I don’t have some sort of tremor:IMG_1268

ooooOOOOOOoooo. And with that, I’m spent. I’m going to go enjoy my night of no homework! Get excited for my next class – plated desserts! I’ve been pumped about this one all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment