Monday, February 21, 2011

Fooled you!

  

Mmmm, delicious cupcakes.

IMG_1004

Chocolate cupcakes with a dark chocolate ganache and… wait for it…

IMG_1005

Peanut butter mousse filling!

 

Look too good to be true? I didn’t tell you the secret ingredient.

IMG_1001

Three boxes. In the cake, in the mousse, in my hair. Well, the last part was not intentional. 

Today was egg replacer day and my partner and I were in charge of making a decadent vegan cupcake for everyone.  We sort of blew it by dipping them in chocolate ganache (which is made with a bucket of heavy cream). At least there were no actual vegans in the house.

I was worried that the chef and I were going to get in a fistfight about the merits of eating tofu.  I’m all for eating real foods, but I don’t really think eating processed soy three meals a day is a “clean diet”.  Faux chicken nuggets, in my opinion, are just as processed as McDonald’s chicken nuggets, and probably contain a comparable number of fake ingredients.

No offense if you are a big tofu eater. I mean, I have a closet addition to Quarter Pounders and Diet Coke, so I don’t judge you. Although, now that I think about it, my crippling fear of E-coli has kept me QP-free for over a year. So I guess it’s more of a closet lust than a closet addiction. Holla.

Anyway – the verdict on the cupcakes? You couldn’t tell there was tofu in them. They did taste sort of earthy in an unexplained way, and definitely less sweet than a conventional cupcakes. Yeah, it’s a little creepy that I snuck a pound of tofu in there… but, believe me, it’s WAY less gross than a lot of other ingredients “snuck” into our food every day. Um, yeah.

I ate a tofu cupcake. The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment