Monday, November 15, 2010

Alice lights a giant fire

Since I know most of you are probably nervous, I will begin this post by assuring you that I did not set myself (or anyone else, or any inanimate objects) on fire during flambeed desserts day.

It was slightly stressful, though, because we had to go one at a time. We turned the lights off for dramatic effect, and the whole class watched us. Flambeed desserts (the classic three are Bananas Foster, Cherries Jubilee, and Crepes Suzette) are a popular choice with "regular" chefs who are making desserts, because they are super dramatic but actually really easy to make. No offense, regular chefs.
I had to flambe first. Of the three, I picked bananas foster, obviously. I am obsessed with bananas, especially hot bananas (gross? I don't think so). This was also the first legit -- meaning, non-boxed -- dessert that I remember making as a kiddo, so it has a special place in my heart.
I had to go first and my flame was... large. I don't even know if these pictures caught it at the peak.

Looking a little nervous. Please excuse my twerpy hat.
The skull cap doesn't contain my hair... I do my best to cram it all in there.


BEHOLD THE FLAME!
(PS Please note the chef pointing at my flame and telling everyone what I'm doing wrong)





The finished product.

In summary, I didn't kill anyone and it tasted delicious. In fact, I may or may not have eaten that entire plate for breakfast. Ok, I can't lie. I did it. Interestingly, other people had problems getting their sauces to light on fire... I guess if you hesitate the alcohol burns off.


No comments:

Post a Comment