Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl, Super Fast

Um, so tonight's the super bowl? Where have I been? If you're like me and need to make a quick Super Bowl treat for the game tonight, these treats will be a lifesaver. Chocolate and Peanut Butter rice crispy treats! This recipe takes under twenty minutes and it's pretty darn delicious. An added bonus (I suppose) is that these are gluten free… I mean, let's be honest, somebody at your Super Bowl party will appreciate that. 

 

IMG_3027

I made the mistake of doing my blog shopping at whole foods, which is how I ended up with brown rice Rice Krispies and organic kosher marshmallows.  Oy!

I was actually intrigued by the marshmallows because I'm not the biggest fan of gelatin… but these marshmallows still use gelatin -- FISH GELATIN! Is ground up fish bones and cartilage more or less gross than ground up beef cartilage? The jury's out on this one. Considering I won't touch the meat part of tilapia, the thought of tilapia gelatin makes me want to puke a little bit. 

IMG_3013

 

Anyhow, I was craving something with peanut butter and chocolate and also feeling too lazy to bust out my kitchen-aid mixer, so this seemed like a good solution.  I followed the old school rice crispy recipe and threw in a big scooper of peanut butter.  I still know that recipe by heart because i used to make it all the time when I was a kid (this may explain why I hate marshmallows so much now - early onset overdose).  The best part was that I used to make them in the microwave and the marshmallows would explode into ginormous white blobs.

Alas, I don't have a microwave now that I"m a grownup, so I had to make them the lame way, in a pot.

 

For the topping, I basically made a ganache, but instead of using cream and chocolate, I used peanut butter. It worked better than I was expecting!

 

IMG_3016

See below for the recipe -- whip this one up if you need a last minute Super Bowl party contribution!

 

IMG_3036

Rice Krispy Treat base (adapted from the side of the Rice Krispy box)

1/2 stick butter
1 bag mini marshmallows
3/4 cup peanut butter 
7 cups rice krispies

  • Melt butter and marshmallows over medium heat.
  • When marshmallows break down, add peanut butter and melt, stirring until smooth.  
  • Stir in cereal and press into a 9x12 pan lined with parchment or was paper.
  • Press treats into pan until they are level.

Peanut Butter Ganache

6 oz milk chocolate
6 oz dark or semi sweet chocolate
6 oz peanut butter

  • Melt all of the above in a double boiler or in the microwave.
  • Spread over krispie treats and allow to set for two hours before slicing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment