Monday, January 17, 2011

What I did on my off day.

Thanks to MLK Jr, today I had no school AND no work. This never happens... it's like a lunar eclipse (and yes, I slept through the last one. So sue me).

So what did I do on my day off? I made 12 dozen brownies for the chocolate shop. No, really. I've deemed my brownie baking earnings as "Alice's going out fund," strictly reserved for booze and exorbitant dinners (things I can't really justify on my, um, modest part-time salary). As a result, I've been frantically baking to support my nightlife habit. A girl's gotta do what she's gotta do. You're welcome, Charlotte bars.



Lest you think I've been slacking off on baking over the long weekend, I wanted to show you a photo of this amazing dessert I made: apple bourbon bread pudding with cinnamon ice cream.



Sorry if this photo stinks; I forgot my camera and had to use an iPhone (don't get excited, it was someone else's). I made it out of some challah that I baked last week (I soaked it in a mixture of cream, sugar, eggs, and vanilla), sliced up apples, and bourbon-spiked caramel that I was eating by the spoonful.

I also made the ice cream with my new ice cream maker! It looks pretty legit, right? My first attempts with it, I was too lazy to go grocery shopping and had a few experimental failures (it's not easy making frozen desserts without sugar or cream) but this cinnamon-infused ice cream is amazing. AMAZZZING.

So that's what we ate for dessert on the long weekend. Tomorrow, I start Viennoserie, which is the class where we make croissants. Stay tuned for the buttery details...

No comments:

Post a Comment