Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Digging out

Well, that's false. I haven't done any actual digging. Actually, I haven't left my apartment or changed out of pajamas (though I did, in fact, change pajamas twice a day) since Sunday night. It's now Tuesday morning.
We finally have school today, with a two hour delay (starting at 9). Let me tell you, I could get used to this! It's actually light outside!
Frankly, I have no idea what's going on today at school. When your classes are only 9 days, missing two of them is pretty drastic. I think we are just picking up where we left off, but based on an e-mail exchange with my chef, we may or may not have a final exam and a practical exam today. Who knows??? It's like culinary roulette.
I wanted to share some photos of foccacia that we made the other day. Foccacia is delicious because you essentially bake it in a big puddle of olive oil, providing a delicious, crispy exterior. We also pummeled ours with cheese.


Mama mia!

I will say that the dough for this is pretty difficult to work with. It's VERY sticky and doesn't shape well. But, boy, it's delicious. I managed to stuff my face with a piece of foccacia after my bagel binge, which was no easy feat. I felt very guilty sitting in my Nutrition class afterwards, but the girl across the aisle from me was eating a pop-tart during class, which was probably more offensive.

Our foccacia, right out of the oven. The tomatoes sunk and looked like
little land mines, but apparently that's "the look".

2 comments:

  1. When do you do Irish Soda Bread (you know your roots?)
    What about Stollen (another part of your roots - I am still eating the one from Christmas)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... apologies for using the word "delicious" 8 million times in this post.

    Also -- I think we make stollen in my next class.

    ReplyDelete